I was testing out how to display product for our Chatty Budgies shop today. This lovely little number will be one of the items for sale in the shop (er, it will be ironed in the picture for the shop though. heheh) Andrea and I have been working hard at getting everything together, and have set a deadline of September 1 to have our stuff online and launch the site. I know, I know. I kept saying that it would be up end of spring early summer. But…I guess I over estimated the workload of owning your own photography business, working a separate part time job, volunteering at a church and starting an online retail shop (on top of trying to live a life as well!)
But we are very close. Product is made and ready to be photographed, tags are in the works, website is looking good…Yep. It’s taken a while.
But I think the shop will be very exciting. Who knows…maybe one day we’ll be physically opening a little happy shop somewhere in the fraser valley. You know…dream big, right?
We went to the auction last Thursday for Chatty Budgies, and this is what I beheld!
It didn’t quite look like this. It had the original fabric on it, which was quite grungy and old, one of the pieces was missing fabric completely (as well as the top bracket, but that didn’t change too much in how it works), and the bottom was rusty and gross. I knew that I could make it bea-u-tee-ful though, and so we put in a bid. (Let me rephrase that–Dave put in a bid–I was so anxious at the auction I had to leave the room. It’s not my scene.) Ten dollars later, I had a lovely vintage 1950′s Acme adjustable dress form all to myself. I recovered all the pieces with white jersey knit (cost: $12) and Dave sanded down the iron base and repainted it (cost: free…my dads shop is full of spray paint of all colours). Good as new! I’m super stoked to start using it. It will have a dual purpose: A dress form when I’m sewing from scratch and need to fit things, and a mannequin for when I’m selling product on Etsy.
Not bad, considering the alternative was buying a new one from fabric land for over $100…and they are cheap-o feeling (all plastic and lightweight….they feel like they will break in half if you breath on them).
I thought long and hard about what I could call this little piece. No. Seriously, I did.
A few months ago, I found the picture below on Flickr (while searching for 1960′s home decor inspiration)
My first thought when seeing the picture was: “I need this room to be mine.”
My second thought was: “How can I make this mine?!”
Not selfish at all. I know.
One of the biggest things (aside from the awesome colours) in the room that I was drawn to was the tree on the credenza. I thought it was so perfect and pretty and would make an easy project too. So! Here it is. How to make a chicky-tree.
Find a stick.
This is actually more difficult than I expected. Sticks come in all shapes and sizes (duh) and it needs to be the right proportion so that it looks like a miniature tree. Here’s the stick I found. I don’t actually know what kind of tree it’s from, since it was off a dead tree that was at the back of my parents property.
I just used regular ol’ spray paint. I did it in ivory, instead of stark white. I thought it would make it look a little less chalky.
Mount the stick in the container you have chosen. I found this sweet glass vase from the thrift store for 90 cents. Score.
Step 4: Plaster.
I used Paster of Paris (which is cheap and you’ll find it at any hardware store). Mix 2 parts powder to 1 part water. Pour it in fast, because it sets pretty quick. I set everything in a corner with the stick propped against a wall so that it wouldn’t slide from the grid that I made and dry crooked. It takes about 30 minutes to dry, but I left it overnight before I did anything else with it, just in case.
Lastly, I covered the plaster at the top of the container with some moss, and put some pretty little birds onto the branches.
Et voila! It looks lovely on the credenza in my bedroom, and the cost was under $20.